Tijdschrift voor de geschiedenis van de kartografie in Nederland
Journal for the history of cartography in the Netherlands

Beginpagina, inhoud en Engelstalige samenvattingen (zie venster rechts, staat dit venster er niet? Klik dan hier):

Home page, contents and English summaries, see window to the right. No window there? Click here.

Inhoud 18e jaargang (1999)
Contents of volume 18 (1999)

no. 1     no. 2     no. 3     no. 4

Caert-Thresoor 18e jaargang 1999, nr. 1

Caert-Thresoor 18e jaargang 1999, nr. 2

Caert-Thresoor 18e jaargang 1999, nr. 3

Caert-Thresoor 18e jaargang 1999, nr. 4


W.F.J. Mörzer Bruyns
The cartographic collection of the Netherlands Maritime Museum in Amsterdam

[Caert-Thresoor 18(1999) 1, pp. 1-7]

The Netherlands Maritime Museum in Amsterdam was founded in 1916. Although, at that time, there were older maritime-historic collections in the Netherlands, this institution was the first to collect cartographic material systematically. That was mainly due to the influence of Anton Mensing, who was the director of auction house Frederik Muller & Co, and one of the Museum's founders. Privately Mensing collected charts, maps, atlases, and literature on voyages, and he had lent his collection to maritime-historic exhibitions. After the Museum was founded, a major part of his collection was donated, and has been added on to by subsequent directors and curators. The cartographic collection of the Maritime Museum consists of three elements: atlases and sailing directions, globes, and loose charts and maps. The first category, which is administered in the Museum's library, consists of about 1.020 items, and contains a number of rare publications. The Museum has 72 globes, making that the largest collection of its kind in the country, and among the largest in the world. It is an excellent representation of Dutch globe production between the 15th and 19th centuries. There are about 4.200 loose charts and maps, although the largest also the least spectacular of the three cartographic elements. Since the founding of the Museum the cartographic collection has been used for research by students and scholars, and it has been used for temporary exhibitions. (back)

Kurt Asche
An unknown profile of the city of Oldenburg by Pieter Bast

[Caert-Thresoor 18(1999) 1, pp. 9-13]

Recently a hitherto unknown copper engraving by Pieter Bast showing a profile view of the city of Oldenburg was discovered in a copy of the Oldenburgisch Chronicon by Hermann Hamelmann. Usually, this book includes a woodcut profile of the town. In the copy auctioned in Stockholm in 1983, the woodcut profile was glued on the copper engraving. Apparently, the engraving was not regularly used for the Chronicon because it was too factual and pictured the town in a non-representative way. (back)

Peter C. de Leth
Andries and Hendrik de Leth

[Caert-Thresoor 18(1999) 2, pp. 29-35]

Exact biographical data about the map and print publishers and engravers Andries and Hendrik de Leth were unknown, even their relationship was not sure. Genealogical research, mainly in the Amsterdam City Archives, brought new data. Andries de Leth was baptized 24 January 1662, his father came from Tfnder (Denmark). He was assistent of Nicolaas Visscher II, and after Visscher's death in 1702 he managed the shop for the widow. After her death in 1726 he took over the business. He died in 1731. Andries had two sons, Christiaen de Leth (born 1698), cooper, and Hendrik de Leth (born 1703), who became business associate of his father. He died without children in 1766. (back)

Henk van der Heijden
Who was Arnoldo di Arnoldi?

[Caert-Thresoor 18(1999) 2, pp. 37-40]

The catalogue of Christie's, London, dated 30th May 1998 includes a description of the map of Palestine, engraved and published by Nicolaas van Geelkercken in 1619-1621 after a design of his brother Arnold van Geelkercken. This gave rise to further research as to the identity of the well-known engraver Arnoldo di Arnoldi in Italy. Resulting from the data given on the map, from a publication by Giovanni Magini of 1604 and from a letter by Jacob Cole ('Ortelianus') to Ortelius of 18th October 1597, Arnoldo di Arnoldi proves to be none other than Nicolaas van Geelkercken's eldest brother. (back)

Christa Cordshagen
The acquisition of the Rostock Giant Atlas

[Caert-thresoor 18(1999) 2, pp. 41-43]

From the 1660s three giant atlases - atlases compiled from wall-maps ? are known. The Atlas of the Great Elector in Berlin, the Klencke Atlas in the British Library, and the atlas in the Rostock University Library. The Berlin and London atlases were presented to the Great Elector and to king Charles II in 1660 respectively. The origin of the Rostock atlas was unknown. The author carefully researched the archives in Schwerin, especially those of Duke Christian I of Mecklenburg. She found that the Duke ordered himself for the atlas in 1661 during a stay in Amsterdam. Even the original bill signed by Joan Blaeu was preserved in the archive. The price of the atlas was 750 Dutch guilders. (back)

F.J. Ormeling sr.
The new cover of the journal Caert-Thresoor

[Caert-thresoor 18(1999) 3, pp. 53-56]

The cover shows a fragment of a map that reminds us of a dark page of Dutch colonial history, the Atjeh war. It envisa-ges the battleg-round of the first two expeditions to northern Atjeh undertaken to put an end to the piracy in Strait Malac-ca. The map shows the mosque near the Atjeh river and the sultans residence, the kraton, which after heavy combat were both taken by the Dutch. The fighting formed the beginning of a war which dragged along for thirty years (1873-1903). In an attempt to trace the origins of the conflict the article draws attention to the strained relationships between England and the Netherlands concerning Northern Sumatra, where only after the opening of the Suez Canal (1869) Dutch intervention was permitted. The long duration of the war was due to the igno-ran-ce of the Dutch about the social, political and religious situati-on in Atjeh, that finally was unraveled by the scholar Snouck Hurgronje in the 1890's. (back)

Jan H. Vinkenoog
The accuracy of two 'Rijnland' maps

[Caert-thresoor 18(1999) 3, pp. 59-62]

In the first half of the 17th century, two maps were made of the territory of the 'Hoogheemraadschap of Rijnland' (the District Water Board). Both were beautiful, both accurate. The intention of this article was to find out: first, what was the speciality of these maps in comparison to preceding maps; then, which of the two maps was the better one; and finally, whether the better of the two was really as perfect as it was said to be.
Floris Balthasarsz., maker of the first of those maps (1610-1615) deserves the honour of having introduced a large-scale map for a rather large territory, on which there was place for all those details the board of 'Rijnland' would like to see on a map.
That it came to a second map of the same territory, is due to the fact that after some decades Floris Balthasarsz.' map was criticised by following generations of surveyors, of whom Jan Jansz. Dou and Steven van Broeckhuysen seem to have been the spokesmen.
They made a list of inexactitudes in lengths and alignments they had found, and succeeded in persuading the board of 'Rijnland' to order them to make a new map of the territory. It took them eight years to finish the job, but the result (the Map of 1647) seemed to be so satisfactory that until 1846 it was never replaced by an other map.
In our century an inquiry made by C. Koeman about the (in)exactitude of Floris Balthasarsz.' alignments resulted in the conclusion that, indeed, it contained a rather large average deviation from the real alignments. Koeman's opinion about the map of Dou and Van Broeckhuysen is much more flattering; he even calls it the 'non-plus-ultra' of Dutch 17th-century mapping.
In this article it is shown that this obviously more accurate map, too, contains at least one mistake. Unlike Floris Baltha-sarsz., who, some 30 years earlier, had drawn a certain Aalsmeer hamlet correctly, Dou (or Van Broeckhuysen), on their map, did not allocate this hamlet to Aalsmeer, but to the neighbouring village of Leimuiden. (back)

Henk van der Heijden
A hitherto unknown map of Gueldres by Ortelius

[Caert-thresoor 18(1999) 3, pp. 65-68]

Recently a German auctioneer appeared to be in the possession of a map of Gueldres, very similar to the one in Ortelius' Theatrum of 1570. The verso has exactly the same German text as the one on the Gueldres-map in the two German Theatrum-editions of 1572/1573 (Koeman Ort 5 and Ort 11). The map, moreover, bears the same signature '15', a clear indication that it was meant to be inserted in the two German editions mentioned above. Later editions have a different signature.
The map is poorly wanting. It has no title and the name of Sgrooten is lacking. In a very inattractive way the largest part of the Zuiderzee is taken up by the cartouche with explanatory text; the scale-bar is hidden by the cartouche. The map lacks a wind-rose and is without margin. Obviously, it must be a print of a rejected and then discarded copperplate. But equally obvious is its origin from the Ortelius workshop. (back)

Wanita Resida
The activities of the surveyor J. Ruijsch Adriaansz. in Gelderland in 1576-1578

[Caert-thresoor 18(1999) 4, pp. 77-80]

J. Ruysch Adriaansz. was a relatively unknown mapmaker in the late 16th century who worked in Gelderland between 1575-1578. Recent archival research brings more light on his activities during this period. A map until now attributed to the 17th century cartographer and mapmaker Nicolaes van Geelkercken is identified as the work of Ruysch. (back)

Leo den Engelse, Marc Hameleers, and Pieter Schotsman
Four maps of the Dutch polders Noordeindermeer and Sapmeer

[Caert-thresoor 18(1999) 4, pp. 83-88]

Four maps, dating from the period 1648-1759 are described. These two small polders in central North-Holland were reclaimed in the middle of the 17th century. The successive maps, two printed engravings and two manuscript maps, comprise steadily decreasing areas. This decrease reflects changes in the reclamation plans and the cutting up of properties and administrative units. Two printing years (1708, 1757) and two Amsterdam map printers (Gerard Valk, Frans Houttuyn) could be identified and linked with the original print and a reprint, respectively, of the Caarte van de Noordeynder-meer en Zapmeer [...]. (back)

Last update: 5 January 2000
© Caert-Thresoor and Peter van der Krogt